Cullen Barelka, a Medina, Ohio native and 2014 Medina High School graduate, was a standout at the professional rugby team’s combine in Columbus, OH. Barelka started his rugby career playing for Medina High School in Medina, OH where he was a team captain and All-Ohio selection. Barelka then went on to play for Notre Dame College in South Euclid, Ohio where he was a D1AA National Champion, a two-time D1A All Conference First Team Selection in the Rugby East Conference. Barelka also played for the All-Ohio College All-Star team and for the Cleveland Rugby Academy. Old Glory DC will play a five-game exhibition schedule this spring/summer prior to joining Major League Rugby (MLR) as a full member for its 2020 season that begins next February.
Medina JV Rugby lost their opening round playoff match to St. Edward C 27-10 at Ken Dukes Stadium on Sunday afternoon. The Bees got a first half try from Ethan Good, but trailed 10-5 at the half. The Eagle attack wore down the Bees’ defense in the 2nd half, leading to a 27-5 lead late in the game. Medina kept fighting as Ethan Good scored his 2nd try of the match as the game ended to bring the final score to 27-10. Medina JV end the season with a 3-4 record.
The Medina HS Girls team lost their first round playoff match vs Hudson HS on Wednesday night by a score of 34-12. The Bees started out strong and kept the match close in the first half, trailing 15-12 at the break. Scoring 1st half tries for Medina were Sarah Burneson and Gab Buchtinec with Bella Sugar adding a conversion. The 2nd half was a different story as the size of the Hudson forwards began to wear on the Bees’ defence. Hudson added an additional 19 points in the 2nd half to win the match. The Medina HS Girls end the 2019 season with a 5-4 record.
The Medina Boys Varsity Rugby team dropped their opening round playoff match 15-10 vs. Shaker Heights on Sunday afternoon. The game was a hard-hitting encounter where the two teams were deadlocked at halftime 0-0. Shaker Heights opened the scoring in the second half with two tries to lead 12-0. The Bees hit back when Mason Juka and Zach Higgins crossed the tryline to make the score 15-10. The game would end 15-10 as time ran out on the Bees and their Varsity season. The HS Boys team end the season with a 6-2 record, its 3rd straight winning season.
The #4 ranked Medina Girls Varsity Rugby team will host #5 Hudson in the opening round of the Division 1 State Playoffs on Wednesday, May 15th at 8:00pm. The game will be held at Ken Dukes Stadium on the campus of Medina High School. The winner of the match will move on to face the #1 ranked Saint Joseph Academy.
DID YOU KNOW…
- Medina Rugby is in its 9th season at the High School.
- Medina Rugby offers HS Boys & HS Girls teams (9th-12th Grade), Middle School Boys & Middle School Girls teams (7th-8th Grade), Coed Flag Rugby team (5th-6th Grade). Teams are comprised of boys and girls from the Medina City School system.
- MHS has produced 8 scholarship players to further their education and rugby career at the collegiate level.
- MHS has produced the 1st professional rugby player from Medina County; Cullen Barelka (MHS ’14)
- MHS Boys have made the state rugby playoffs 7 out of its 9 seasons.
- MHS Girls won the D2 State Championship in 2018 and were D2 State Runners-up in 2016 & 2017
- Medina MS Boys team won the Cleveland City Championship in 2016, B-Division State Runner-up in 2017, A-Division State Runner-up in 2018, and placed 4th in the A-Division in 2019.
- Medina MS Girls team were State Runner-Up in 2018 & 2019
- MHS has produced 9 ALL OHIO Athletes and 1 ALL AMERICAN.
- MHS Rugby has been Developing Championship individuals since 2011.
Follow us on Twitter or Instagram @MedinaRugby